Sunday, November 16, 2008

and pretty plaques

We (er, I) decided that a bit more of Thanksgivin' was Just The Thing.
The children were very sweet and helpful.

Here then, is our creation.

Note: This recipe is for two 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" frames.
You'll need: plaster of paris, a frame, a thin piece of plastic, and seasonal treasures (think acorns, pinecones, leaves, dried flowers, rosehips, holly berries, pods, sunflower heads, etc.)

Helpful hints:
As soon as you pour your plaster into your frames, clean out the tub you are using with paper towels. That way you clan use it again the next time you make the plaster. You can also store your plastic sheets in the tub or bowl.
And do not wash the plaster down the sink! It will clog your pipes.

First, find a frame for your plaque. Somewhere around the 4"x5" size.

Cut yourself a piece of plastic large enough to cover the bottom and sides of your box. Grocery bags work well - you can save your plastic for your next plaque project.
Mix the plaster. For this project, we used two cups of mix and one cup of cold water.

Pour the plaster into your frame. Make it about an inch thick. You can shake your frame gently back and forth to make the plaster flat and even in the frame.
When your plaster begins to set, place bits of straw into the top of your plaque, about 3/4 to 1 inch away from the edge.
Select your favorite items, and place them into your plaster. If your plaster isn't setting yet, just set them on it lightly. If it's starting to get firm, then press them into it.
When it starts to form solidly, gently twist your straws and lift them out to remove them.

Let your plaque dry in its frame.

String it with raffia, twine, jute, or ribbon when it's completely dry.

created by Madeleine


created by Trevelyn

and these were created by Mama...
Enjoy your tribute to our beautiful Earth.

14 comments:

  1. These two crafts are so great! I'm excited to try them with my kids. I'm also going to start a Thanksgiving tree and see how they like it - I think I'll do ours on the wall. Husband wouldn't be so big on an actual branch this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Most people do it with paper on the wall. I don't know why we insist on an actual branch... it's forever getting knocked over! :)
    I guess we just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! this one is my favorite, but they are all great craft ideas.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks LZ. I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been creative! I loved the frames, the votive paper craft thing, is an all time fave, we loved yours! And I loved Madd as schroeder!-K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is fabulous! I love this project! I'll be linking to it if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel - I don't mind at all!
    And I thank you for the compliment!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are each full of beauty and oozing with memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project- My monkeys would love doing this!

    I also linked to the Magic Onion- here is my link if you're interested:

    http://ladyofthearts.blogspot.com/2010/09/beans-beans-theyre-good-for-your-art.html

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful project. Really, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a totally inspired idea and I love how they all turned out.
    We will have to collect some Autumn treasures and attempt this ourselves very soon.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to display all those woodland finds that lie in heaps on the nature table. inspiring, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!