Monday, January 12, 2009

Valentines for the Birds

Ours love popcorn. We have lots of sunflower seed feeders, too, but they also love this.
While their Mama loves making long strings of popcorn and cranberries for the birds, Maddie and Trevelyn get sort of hung up on the loooooong part. Always So Much To Do, you know.

So I came up with this one the other day.

All you need is floral wire, thread (cotton, preferably, as it’s biodegradable) or ribbon, and something delicious – popcorn, bits of dried apples, berries, dried orange pieces – whatever you’ve got.

If you’re stringing popcorn, let it sit for a couple of days (up high so the babes don’t eat your precious stale popcorn).

If you’re making hearts, cut a length that suits you – twelve inches or so – and bend in half so you have the pointed part of the heart at the bottom where it bends. Just fill up either side with goodies. Then twist the ends (forming the heart shape) and tuck to make it hold.


If you’d like to make stars, I’d say cut 20-25 inches, and bend it after you fill up four or five inches, to make the star. If you wait ’til the very end to bend it and you’re doing popcorn, you may lose a lot of it in the process.

Tie a thread on the top, and hang ‘em up outside.

Sweet.




19 comments:

  1. what a great idea. we have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic project! I'll be linking in my Kid's Valentine Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sweet. I'm glad I came across your idea at The Crafty Crow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also discovered this great post via Crafty Crow. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I think I'm going to do this in my 4 year old daughters preschool craft at the Valentine's party. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! My backyard birds are going to LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so very sweet! I think we'll add this to our spring traditions around here. :) Thank you so much for the sweet tutorial!

    Kristin
    http://reclaimingthehome.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is realy great idea, we will make this too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet and simple - my favorite kind of craft! Plus I love birds. :) Thanks! Annie from No Fuss Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I googled for a cute idea for my First Grade Sunday School Class. This is so simple and cute. They will love it. Thanks!
    Laurie in Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea and I am going to post a link from my blog to yours. I hope you don't mind. :)
    I just think it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, everyone!
    You're all very sweet and I appreciate the link-love you've given!
    Stephanie (of OLM)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I linked to this for Valentine's Day and now that I'm working on a feeder roundup, I'll be linking again. I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. linking to this post for tomorrow on my blog love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steph,
    Like this idea? I LOVED this idea! It fit right into my Valentine craft round-up but will be so much fun for anytime of year. I'm so thrilled to have found your site, such a terrific inspiration for me. I'll be stopping by frequently, you can count on it

    Stacy
    http://www.kidsstuffworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, the little birds will thank you, kind lady:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute- My little ones would love to make and eat these- Yum- something to do as a 'get ready for' movie night activity! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We made took wicker wreath and slathered it with peanutbutter & birds seeds for a Christmas wreath. I think the birds would appreciate a nice popcorn Valentines wreath as well. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!