Friday, June 05, 2009

duck update

I don't want to start our hopefully cheerful daily post with death, so I'm updating.
It's the middle of the night, Annabelle is freaking and pacing again (there must be a raccoon or skunk) and a third duckling is following the first two, and not doing well.
I don't mean to get graphic, but the first one was doing this weird thing with his neck, like it was broken, and that's why I thought the fence or Annabelle (now I know that in throes, it put its neck under the fence)... but the second one did that too earlier tonight, and now I checked in the middle of the night and we're losing the third one.
I think it's the chemicals in their pond.
When I was over there earlier, it was sort of glowing a milky blue... I don't blame the neighbors- they're building, and put the cement sealers on, and then it rained hard for a couple of hours, and the rains washed the chemicals into a puddle in the bottom of the pond.
Anyway, this is where the first three ducklings were found.
The fourth one never got into that water, I don't think (I'll ask tomorrow), so....
Though I hate to hope that he or she will be alright at this low point...

Now we'll have to call the Aviary again and ask how imperative being around other babies is for our duckling (provided he makes it)... if he'll adopt us as his or her family, or if we need to get him to others. He'll be able to fly at six weeks...
sigh.
Don't know why death has surprised me.... I guess I was just too charmed by them to think of it.
I hope the fourth one isn't feeling frightened.

We're due for some calmness and stability today! Mama will have to work on that....

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the ducks. I hope that things are ok this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear they've had such a hard time :-( Poor dears. Here's to hoping #4 pulls through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is everything this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 seems fine so far today. I'm just worried about it being alone.
    I don't know... can we raise it, give it plenty of cuggles (as my babes say), and send it off to the wild in a few weeks?
    Ideally it would love us and be happy to be a part of us... and fly and play with wild ducks and still visit to say hello....

    Since we have only one, it might be time for a name...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Stephanie, how heartbreaking. Thank goodness #4 is doing well. Good luck and keep us updated.

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so sorry. I hope #4 makes it ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss:( I hope at least the one will make it. I'm sure it was the chemicals that did it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girls and I are so very sorry. Death is always hard for us, too. We're all pulling for duck 4!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. We deal with death more frequently than most since we live with and around lots of animals, wild and domestic, but it can still shock and dismay you - even if you understand why it's happening.

    The call of the wild is stronger in birds than in some other wild animals, so even with cuddles and love and lots of time in the tractor, he should take off just fine when his instincts tell him to fly. I'm betting that the second or third group of ducks to fly over your house when it's time for him to go will have him join them. And it's likely he'll stop back in to see you when he comes back through.

    I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear about the ducklings... I wish you could just drive number 4 over here... we've got loads of untouched ponds and bogs and plenty of ducks although I've seen no babies yet.

    I wish I knew how to help but I've just taken a crash course in chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear this sad news...
    Wishing the best for sweet little #four.
    I hope you and your family are well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!