Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Recipe for Love

In our gardens we house twenty-seven lovely rose bushes-- and while we enjoy their beauty outside very much, it also means happiness that these beauties need to be trimmed and loved to keep shining their glory.

Roses mean Love in all sorts of grand ways to many people-- the Victorians were quite serious about their Language of Flowers... Floriography.

In folklore and Herbal Craft, roses have long been used in love mixtures, owing to the flower's associations with the emotions. Rosewater is added to love baths. A rosewater saturated cloth laid to the temples will relieve headache pain. Rose petals sprinkled around the house calm personal stress and household upheavals. Roses planted in the garden attract faeries, and are said to grow best when stolen*.

Our gardens at the moment are bursting with these beauties, so what to do, except to bring their magic indoors?

A Recipe for Love, then.
Red roses symbolize love and respect.
Burgandy means simple pleasures.


Orange and Coral - Desire.


Versicolor - Mirthfulness


Lavender (also called Blue) - Sweet thoughts, gentility, grace, and majesty.


Pale Pink and Peach - Friendship


Pink - Appreciation and Gratitude


Yellow - Friendship and Joy


White - Reverence

For these purposes, we'll make ours mainly for a lovely room and linen spray.

We choose to cut roses is in the morning when they're well rested and not over-heated.
We collect ones that are their fullest, but that haven't started to deteriorate, yet.
We put the petals in a strainer with large holes and rinse them.To make sure we stay in good standing with Mama Nature, we do this outside with a gentle shower to rinse off any insects so they might go back to the ground.

Today we pressed as many petals as we could into a large jar
and then poured over them boiling water, stirring to release the air among the petals.

The lid gets screwed on tight, and we let the rosewater sit for twenty-four hours.

When it's done, we strain it.
This recipe will only keep for two weeks on the shelf before it starts to ferment, and a little longer if refrigerated.
(Lisa at 5 Orange Potatoes has posted two other rosewater recipes that are more involved and will keep for longer.)

Nothing makes a tidy space feel special like fresh cut flowers... and then a spray about the house with rose magic.

Connecting with The Magic Onions for
Friday's Nature Table on June 24, 2011

Reference:
This rosewater recipe comes from A Victorian Grimoire by Patricia Telesco

*This paragraph is information taken from Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.

15 comments:

  1. Your entire yard must smell heavenly.

    Iread somewhere - can't remember where now - that rosewater used to be used in recipes where vanilla is used now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love roses and miss having them! Yours are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have family coming this weekend and I think I'll spray their sheets with rose water. Thanks for the idea. You have beautiful roses in your garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an awesome and inspiring post. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses are absolutely breathtaking, the colors are so gorgeous! I can imagine they smell divine! Roses are about the one flower I have never tried my hand at growing, this surely inspires me to. I love what you a making with the petals! Yum! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a big fan of cut roses in the flower shops, I'm more of a wildflower kind of gal, but the more I get into gardening, I can't help but love their exquisiteness.

    Of course your photos are lovely as always, and even though I doubt I'll ever plant roses (besides the climbing one we already have), I love admiring yours:)

    Great ideas on utilizing them for sure, I've always loved the smell of rosewater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Beautiful roses! I learned some new roses and their meanings today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I sure learned a lot this morning already! Your pictures are lovely and everything seems so exquisite and peaceful at the same time. I had no idea that was how rose water was made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful!
    Can you believe we only have one rose? Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your roses are spectacular.

    It's funny because the meanings of different flowers came up last night as I was watching Cranford -
    a young suitor picks and sends anemones to a young woman - symbolizing steadfast love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, look at all those lovely roses! How lovely must your yard be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lordisa, that's a lot of rose bushes.

    I've kept rose petals from every bouquet I've ever been given in the last ten years. My grand plan has not been revealed to me yet. I figure soaps, candles, paper... handy to have around for crafting with the kiddos, at any rate.

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful roses Stephanie! Another great way to make the lovely scented water fit for queens (and us humble folk)! Thanks for the link.

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! I write a column for my local newspaper and would LOVE to use this recipe for an uncoming mathers day article. Would that be okay? I would give you and your blog credit.

    thanks!
    Beth engelman
    Beth@engelmanriggs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to make rosewater with my daughter. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!