Sunday, September 30, 2007

Surprise!

The first one - though it isn't all that shocking Still...
Madeleine discovered today the wooden cobbler bench sets.
I think today was the first time Trevelyn played with them, too, even though I got them for him when he was roughly 12 months old....
Second - here's the shocker!
I measured my son today, as he was playing near the hung measure-thingy, and he is an inch taller than last time! Which was two months ago.
Maddie of course "Me too, me too!" and though I told her "I'm sure you've shrunk an inch" as she seems so tiny and dainty, she has gained an inch, also!
Holy sh-moly.
Dang!
Honest to Goodness, folks, this and my thoughts on mortality are the foundation of why I initially chose this (ru) way of life.
Enjoy it while it lasts sort of thing.
Just as I blinked my eyes and went from twenty-three to thirty-eight, so I know will my children go from three to seventeen.
And in the grand evolution/eternal/spiritual/what-the-tarnation-does-it-all-mean thing, it just really doesn't matter if my son can read "they" at the age of six.
I just don't see it as a problem.
And damn it all, neither should anyone else.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right, they grow so fast, maybe we should stop blinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Naturalist has longer legs than I do. How'd that happen?!

    I love it when they play with toys that I'd given up hope on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great-aunt who passed away a few years ago who told me often my kids will grow up so fast. I respect the perspective of an 80-year-old woman, and enjoy having my kids home with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!