Thursday, October 25, 2007

Earth History - Unschooler Style (for the tall as well as the small)

I recently mentioned to a friend that personal interests wax and wane, and this is a perfect example of what I was thinking.
A while ago, when I first decided that we'd make a time line, I researched and researched and researched it. I was completely consumed by this project. I lived and breathed earth history - from the beginning of our universe, (the big bang) through the earliest life forms - bacteria and sponges, to the evolution of plants and when they first ventured onto land, through the dinosaurs and the evolution of man, into the iceage and beyond.
Not only did I reference and cross reference, but I started making time lines, trying to figure out how much space each eon or era would need.
This morning.
"Dad. Show me on the globe where the Jurassic and the Triassic periods are."
"Well, the continents were different, then, of course."

Trev is asking.
It seems to me that there's a time/space thing going on that's confusing him - or maybe it's me that's confused, in my adult linear thinking. I'm pretty sure that you have to step outside of that thinking to really do some progressive exploring - but I'll never be someone with which Einstein can toss around ideas and formulas.

But now, thanks to my voracious interest several months ago, I am well supplied with numbers, scientific theories, facts and dates.
I am prepared for my son's questions.
I started the actual line months ago - but so far it's just very long and very blank. It starts on the wall of our stairs, and goes down the stairs, around the various corners and back up the hall and up the stairs.

I'm still a little unnerved by the blank wall and looooong black line.
But..... here we go.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Sounds so fun. What a great feeling to feel prepared for the questions. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!