Friday, January 30, 2009

Chewy Granola Bars

A couple of people asked, so we interrupt the usual form of OLM to say "here it is":

Chewy Peanutbutter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

1/2 cup corn syrup
(note - if you're not making chocolate chip, honey is delicious in this recipe, but I'd only use it if you're making nut and fruit bars, not pb and chocolate - it's too sweet, and not that great of a combo)
1/2 cup brown sugar you may want to see if less will do - might be too sweet for some, though they are fine for me :)
2/3 cup peanut butter
2 cups rice crispies (if you're using brown rice cereal, keep all the brown sugar - it tends to leave things bland)
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned (thick) rolled oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nuts, raisins, coconut, seeds, or dried fruit (this is optional)
handful of chocolate chips (optional)

Bring the brown sugar and honey or corn syrup to a boil, as soon as it boils remove it from heat. Add the vanilla and peanut butter and stir it.
Toss your oats, rice cereal, and nuts or fruits in a bowl.
Pour the (now cooled some) brown sugar mixture over your cereal, and mix it up either with a wooden spoon or your hands. When it's about done, add your chocolate chips if you're using them. (Save them, because they'll melt from the heat.)
Press the mixture firmly into either an 11x7 or 8x8 inch greased pan and cut them when they're cooled.
I use an 8x8, and so I cut them with a pizza roller about an inch wide, and then twice more across, making them about 1 x 2 1/2 inches. They're dense and thick, so this size works for us.
Either wrap them individually, or put them in a sealed container to keep them chewy.
Mmmm.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am going to make these today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - these look great! I think we'll try them this weekend sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am heading to the kitchen right now...no joke..right now!! lol. I will come back and post what I thought!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you! I was planning on asking you for this!-K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am back! I just made them! It took me about 15 mins tops!! THEY ARE DELICIOUS!! Your recipe met my needs today! Thank you!! :) I am linking you up to my blog to share...it was THAT good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. those look delicious. now if i could only get the motivation to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look really good! Do you think I could sub agave syrup or brown rice syrup for the corn syrup? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came back to say I made these today too. I used white chocolate chips because that is what we had, and added the optional coconut. They tasted soooo good. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara - you're welcome!, and I'm glad you like them... yours sound delicious! I was just saying today that next time with coconut.

    Hi, Liberty, and thanks for leaving a comment!

    Lisha - I'm glad you didn't hate them! :)

    K - you're welcome - xxoo

    Shelane - they're as good as Quaker's, I think, and they're so quick and easy.

    Sarah - I bet you could. My friend Julie uses brown rice syrup for a substitute for things... try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!