Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Respite

It's quite possible that pictures of Little Son will be missing for a while.
Because there's only so many pictures a Mama can take of one watching Cartoon Network.

Yes, we have a tv. Yes, the children watch it. And yes, sometimes a lot.

I tell you this tale here (such things are usually saved for HF) because my friend said something the other day like "Whenever you say (on OLM) Trev's on the computer or watching a lot of tv, I think, 'Thank God!'"
Which caused me to pause.
"But I write about making lemonade." I said, puzzled.
(Meaning "not very exciting things".)

Some days are fabulous, it's true. And I love those days.
And some days are science fair days.
Some are quiet.
Some are loving.
Some days are rowdy.

And some days I want a refund.

It has come to my attention that Trevelyn has felt out of control of his life lately.
In a conversation (the whole story here) he told me he'd prefer that I not ask him anymore if he'd like to do something. That he'd prefer that I wait 'til he came to me.

We don't have assignments, we don't have requirements, and we don't have rigid rules.
But we do have a Mama (and a sister) that like to do fun or interesting things.
And sometimes those Things sweep up Little Son, and he gets carried away unwillingly by others' enthusiasm when all he wants to do is what He wants to do.
Can't blame him for wanting that.

So he's been given carte blanche over his days.
Mama is allowed to ask and invite, (per the afore-mentioned conversation), but there will be absolutely no wheedling, cajoling, or hurt feelings if Little Son chooses to opt out.
I'm not worried about boredom or dullness setting in. I know that Trev enjoys excitement and adventure as much as the next little boy. But I also know that he needs the absolute freedom to say "No thanks" when he really wants to. And to have his Mama be happy either way.

So far it's going swimmingly-- things have been peaceful, Trev feels empowered and Mama isn't full of angst.

And there hasn't been much at all of Cartoon Network.
For now, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all this. :) We all go thru it I think and we should be able to enjoy it then too.

    I also love the paragraph:
    [quote]
    "But I write about making lemonade." I said, puzzled.

    Some days are fabulous, it's true. And I love those days.
    And some days are science fair days.
    Some are quiet.
    Some are loving.
    Some days are rowdy.

    And some days I want a refund.
    [end quote]

    Very well said indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And some days I want a refund."

    Stephanie, I love that and you for posting this! There are days when Curious George (yes,the show) is my absolute BEST FRIEND.

    You do so many amazing things with your kids that it takes my breathe away just reading about your adventures.

    Yes, you do deserve a refund... in spades, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome for him to have a mom who respects his feelings/needs/etc. Bravo, mom!
    I am waiting to see what you will do when little girly says "lets go" and little boy says "no thanks." How will you merge those two sets of needs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support, guys!! It means much to me.

    Theresa - I usually check with Trev, first. Maddie is always up for Go!, and so it's usually Trev or I that have other ideas about how we'd like to spend our time.

    If I'm up for it I come up with an idea, and then I present it to him/them.

    He really hardly ever doesn't want to, he just wants to have the option, and not feel pressured into something to make me happy, I think.
    Can't have that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!