Saturday, June 13, 2009

RainScapes

No doubt I'm not the very first person who has come up with this idea... but still, it happened, and we liked it.

You'll only need watercolor paper, pancake watercolors (or water color pencils), and rain.
We popped our little pancakes out of the trays, and cut a bit off with scissors.
You can mash the colors up anyway you like, we chose to crush them in the mortar-and-pestle.
Maddie chose to dump hers, and rub them into the paper a bit,
and I opted to sprinkle mine on for a splattered effect.
We set them out in the gentle rain, and checked on them- waiting until our co-creations were just right

Then we brought them inside to dry.
Don't forget about the option of sprinkled salt for added pizazz!

15 comments:

  1. Ahhh, how lovely to paint with the rain...
    You just have to love a mortar and pestle!! My kids love them, too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done that with watercolor pencils before. Such fun to watch how it's going to turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissia!
    Joy - I want to do pencils for the next rain! Which will no doubt be tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! I really want to try this with my kids the next time it rains here. Thank you for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those came out so well! It almost makes you like days and days of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, I must try this out with Rye, (ok I want to do it lol)

    Joxy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so cool! I wanna try it out to (never mind the kid, I want to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are way cool, I've never seen this project before! It would be so much fun to stare out the window watching each drop that hit your page. I'm excited about this! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh la la , very clever idea, to bad it's not rainy today !!!
    thank you for sharing
    merci !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have powdered tempura paint, do you know if it would work as well with that? If not, I guess I can just try and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely idea, especially adding salt :-) I've linked to this today:
    http://www.playingbythebook.net/2010/08/05/waterfall-water-wall/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, those are amazing! I just love the things you come up with, even if you aren't the first, you are the first for me!


    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. FUN!!!! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!