Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Reed Baskets

I've been thinking Baskets!.
Yesterday we were playing at the park and I saw cattail reeds and leaves.
Perfect. It's late enough in the season that trimming a few leaves won't harm them.


This first one I did by myself, as I had no idea what I was doing (was making it up as I went along), or if I would be successful.

I only used reed leaves, a bit of soft vine, and just a little hot glue.

I cut some reeds about the same length... if you have a jar or container that you want to wrap your basket around, then figure the circumference of that. Leave your leaves a few inches longer than what you'll need.


The weaving part is fun, and easier than I thought it would be. After the first two weaves, it stays together well.


When I thought I had a large enough piece, I hot-glued a stiff (and thick) leaf to the edge to keep it from unravelling, then I cut off the excess.
I did that for both ends (the ones that go around the jar).

Then I tied twine through both ends, in three different places to hold the ends together.
For the bottom I wove the ends as best I could, and hot-glued them together, then put my jar in my vase and mashed it against the cement to flatten the bottom so i could sit it evenly, and it would be stable.


For the top, I bent and then wove the ends back through, some toward the inside, and the other ends toward the outside, depending on if they were underneath or over.

There. 'Tis done.

Pretty.

Later that day Maddie helped me make a square basket, we wove the bottom of the basket first,

then bent up the sides, and wove new leaves through those.
I glued one from time to time to hold the work in place.

The excess on the top was bent over and tucked back into the weave.

Simple!

Linking with Friday's Nature Table on May 20, 2011.

18 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool Steph :) I think I will be trying that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I just cut all of our irises down yesterday, they might work for this project. Your welcome to some if you need:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a wonderful little basket.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Stephanie! It's funny, the coming of fall makes me want to weave too. Today I pulled lots of tiger lily stalks and started weaving rainbow string around them. Couldn't think of what to make with them but I just wanted to weave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! You have a lovely natural "vase"/basket to contain the bounty of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I really enjoy working with cattails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must find some cattails.......

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful baskets Mama! I yearn to weave like this often...

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fantastic!! Esp with the yellow daisies in them. I remember seeing a post by Syrendell on weaving and wanting to give it a try... now I have no excuse as I can see I can use anything to weave with. I can imagine it's a lovely peaceful, thearaputic activity. A good thing to suggest when kid energies get too heightened and you can see a tantrum is brewing. I have New Zealand Flax in my garden... bet it'd be perfect to use.
    Thanks for sharing on Friday's Nature Table.
    Blessings and magic

    ReplyDelete
  11. true insight in the world around you....most would just admire the cattail and move on. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your reed baskets! They look pretty with the yellow flowers. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty, naturally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun. I really like these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. just visiting from The Magic Onions... and have to echo everyone else -- the vases are great!

    I feel happy and energized just looking at them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty, especially with the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic - just the thing to try with all those rushes growing in the field!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!