Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crow Puppets


Here's one for you.

Super easy, not messy, and fun to play with.
:) Maddie's been very attached to hers since she made it.

We only used a piece of cardboard, black yarn, styrofoam balls (I used two two inch, Madeleine's is made from two one inch), a bit of orange scrap felt, black feathers, googly eyes, glue, and a stick.
For the two inch size balls, wrap black yarn around a seven inch piece of cardboard. (Maybe thirty-five times.) For 0ne inch balls, six inches will do, thirty times (any less and little hands might get frustrated trying to cover it.)

Tie them together at the top with another piece of yarn - 14 inches so it blends with the other lengths.

Cut the other (not tied) ends, making a tassel.

Put the yarn over the first ball, covering the ball completely,

then tie it to secure it.

Add the second ball, cover, and tie it.

The remaining yarn will be part of the tail.

Poke in feathers for wings,
feathers for a tail,

add the eyes

and after cutting a diamond shape out of scrap, poke pointed scissors in the middle, and poke the beak into the face.

Add the stick

and your done!
As soon as we were done seven crows flew over and hollered at us.
We called back, of course!
Caw! Caw!!


This project is adapted from a project in the book Crafts to Make in the Fall by Kathy Ross.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted the instructions. I'm printing, and then off to shop for the materials this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice.
    we may try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this puppet .What a great idea.Thank you so much for posting it for all of us.
    Outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I'd love to include this craft in a roundup I'm doing for iVillage.com's Pregnancy and Parenting section? Can you email me asap to let me know if I can include you? I will, of course, mention and link back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just made these and they were a huge hit!

    Thanks!

    http://trailblazingmylife.blogspot.com/2010/09/halloween-craftiness.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. STepahnie, these are adorable. I'm searching for cute crafts for my daughters party, and these are so cute. I would also LOVE for you to check out my new party
    ** 6 weeks 2 Spook** and add these so my readers can enjoy them as well. Hope to see you girl. Your blog, is really great, and I'm your happy new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to make one of these for my cat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!