Wednesday, September 16, 2009

september sixteen


Now this may not look like much to you.
But let me just tell you, that if you're awake by five:thirty
up and cleaning out a kitchen cupboard before the sun has even promised you it's coming
(while the babes dream of lollipops and kitty-cats, no doubt)
and then have your hands in your powders mixing in deliciousness like orange oil (happiness) lemon (refreshing, uplifting, clarity), cedar (calming, stress) and geranium (frees from negativity, encourages self-expression), making powders for your carpets, scrub for your counters and spray for your kitchen
then you can't help but feel
that it's a fine, fine day.

so that's how it begins.



We read our chapter of Pippi -- only two more left.

Here's one for you.


Peggy Kaye wrote about it in her book Games for Math.
It's a solitaire game.
The first card down is covered by two others.
Those are covered by three others.
Those are covered by four others, etc, down to six or seven.
You can only pick up cards that are completely free from others lying across it,
and you can only pick up those that add up to ten. (no jokers or face cards in the stack for the game.)
So... you can automatically pick up any tens on the bottom row.
And a 2, as long as an 8 is also free.
Two 5's, etc.
Pairs are set aside.
When you get stuck, you can turn over the top card of the pile that was not used in your displayed cards.
She suggested that you have a crib sheet, that reads
1 + 9 = 10
2 + 8 = 10
3 + 7 = 10
.....
....
9 + 1 = 10
10 + 0 = 10
The crib sheet is to ensure that it feels more like a game, and not a chore.
Trev didn't, as he's pretty comfortable with these numbers.
But maybe next time I'll have one, just so that he can see the equations. Or maybe I'll just ask him if he wants one. Now there's an idea. [rolls eyes at herself.]
He liked the game!

Maddie played UpWords while Trev played the solitaire game.

I have no problem with her poking around with letters.

Go Fish!

Next was Checkers, he said.
But he got bored ??? and chose to play instead The Allowance Game.
Which is really a lot of fun, and good practice for both math and reading.
Works for me.

Madd chooses the alternative. Much like her Mama. And her Daddy, too, for that matter.

Time for Earth Scouts!
Today we stepped out of our regular badge work to read and ponder Peace, and our art project was Pinwheels for Peace.
Pinwheels for Peace - International Day of Peace - comes up on September 21-- don't forget!

We usually have Scouts at the park, so of course there was mucho runnin' and hollerin' and chasin' and climbin'.

And now we're home...
Supper is done
bathtime is done
thankyouverymuch
and the babes are out on the trampoline with their Daddy.

That should do it.
Still didn't get to the craft store.
Ah well.

That's it for me...
See you tomorrow, then.

15 comments:

  1. Oh i would love some of your powder concoction recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found the link to your other blog where they are. Silly me! Thanks Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that solitaire game looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, muffins. This is the time of year for all sorts of yummy baking and cooking (I'm pulling out the crock pot tomorrow night for the first stew of the harvest season).

    I love seeing all the games being played. Games are so wonderful. They are a fun way to learn and relax (and whodathunk that keeping one's mind sharp could be so relaxing?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm squealing with delight ~ the math games you mentioned look like winners for Owen. He's banned all written math work in our little homeschool so we try to play a lot of games instead.

    I'm excited about your pinwheels for peace as well.

    Thanks for sharing !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your post! It got me thinking about adding some happiness, clarity, calming and positivity to my cleaning. What a great idea!

    Loved your games and your whirled peace pinwheels. :-) We'll make a few of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what great things you have shared! I love your recipes...they are so direct and simple. Where do you get things like castile soap and citric acid? I tried to get citric acid at my local pharmacy and they charged me an arm and a leg...you must have another source.
    The math game sounds wonderful...simple and fun. I am going to get that book!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    -Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phyllis -
    I usually use my soap that I make, which is a vegetable soap. Most grocers (here) carry single bars of castile soap, but I don't use that. I do use Dr. Bronners (liquid) when I run out of mine, like now. sigh-- it's on the list.

    The book Games for Math is geared toward pre-3rd grade, just so you know. The game I mentioned yesterday can certainly be adapted with cards you print yourself for other numbers.

    There is a candy/cake/restaurant supply place here that sells citric acid, but it is expensive, like $6-7/lb, or something.
    Next time I'll order it online from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you talk about your powders? We are using homemade cleaning stuff (mostly with vinager) and the kids complain of the smell while cleaning. I bet they would like your cleaning supplies better.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. That solitaire game is perfect! We were just working on "making ten" today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hay guys... love the pinwheels and will definitely use it in our calendar post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dawn-
    It's in the link...
    My scouring powder is one part borax to two parts baking soda.
    I scent mine with a several drops of orange oil with a few drops of spearmint oil.
    It is divine!
    Smells soooo clean and refreshing... it's a real joy to scrub with it, truly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading about your delicious days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pyramid solitaire - I haven't played that in years - love the variant for "adding". The traditional way you have to pick up a card one higher or lower than what you have and you have a discard pile for when you get stuck I believe. What fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I spent the day making yummy cleaners and never had so much fun cleaning with them. Do you use the multi-purpose cleaner for your kitchen floor? Do you have any ideas for Laundry soap?... I am really getting into this.
    -Phyllis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!