Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Encaustic Art

I have been meaning to play with melted wax in the name of Art (with the babes) for a while, now.

Trevelyn loves wax, so….

Finally, today, I asked if they’d be interested, and they were enthusiastic about the idea.

So I trudged through the snow to the garage, and dug out my wax dyes,

and went downstairs to get the candle leftovers that I’ve saved.
For just such a purpose.

While considering the best way to melt and handle the wax, eventually it occurred to me that I could use small glass jars, and melt them in a shallow skillet of hot water.


Aaah.

That works.

I got the table prepped for us – we used a posterboard cut up into three pieces for our canvas.

We poured
and scooped
and splattered
and dipped.

For our texturing tools, we used paintbrushes, plastic spoons, knives, and forks, lids, fingers, toys… whatever struck our fancy.

It was a fantastic project.

It was easy to work with the wax, and since we had melted them in a shallow pan, the tops of the jars were cool enough for us to handle (though you’ll want to make sure for yourself, of course).

We dug and handprinted and scraped and splashed…

and had a wonderful time making our art pieces.

Madeleine


Trevelyn


Mama

We’ve tucked our little jars into a box, and will be leaving everything “as is” for the next time we get them out.

And there will definitely be a next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!