Tuesday, January 12, 2010

january twelve

Today....

we had Flintstones.

And Bowser's Inside Story.

And Peep.

And Encaustic Art!
Let me just tell you how fun this was!
I had been meaning to play with wax since this fall, but we just hadn't gotten around to it, yet-- Trevelyn loves wax. I'd been thinking Create! and Play!, and then before the holidays my girlfriend Aubrey was telling me about Encaustic Art. It had a name! :)
I asked Trev if he'd like to play this morning, and of course he wanted to.
I was a little nervous, as melted wax is a big deal - potentially disastrous. I am very familiar with wax - have worked with it many, many times - and I was concerned about tossing my babes into the melting pot.


"Well," I thought, "I'll just do what I can, and hope for the best!"





Madeleine's


Trevelyn's


Mama's



Not one disaster, friends.

Trevelyn armed himself and went off into the Wild, Wild World this afternoon.
Alright - our neighborhood isn't really wild - but I can tell you armed with Jengo Fett's laser gun and his imagination, he's bound to have a few wild adventures before he comes back home for his soup.

Benjamin Fraklin was watched, again. Trev likes that one very much.

Maddie snuck away while he was Occupied.


Dancing.

Trev and I looked at optical illusions.
I teased him by asking where the top of the stairs was. :)

We played a little with Mighty Mind (another great math game!)

I read Eyewitness Readers: Invaders From Outer Space - Real Life Stories of UFO's to Trevelyn. When I was done reading the stories, he picked it up, and started reading to me - about how Grays are the most common, about ships, etc, etc. :)

And now we're off to watch DaVinci.

We'll see you tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Love the art projects! They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me more about the wax? Where do you get it? How do you heat it? Looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - sheesh! I made a tutorial today on it, and then forgot to link it! :) [rolling eyes at herself]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the pic of Maddie with the DS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your wax fun!!! Bright and Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owen loves to play in the simmering candle pot I have - dips toothpicks into it so I know he would love the wax art!

    Jengo Fett's laser gun, Mustafar, speaking backwards like Yoda - I hear all of this everyday from my little Star Wars fan ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Encaustic Art...Wow...indeed it has a name! It's so awesome...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bigger the mess, the more fun you had!

    That's a corollary to my other axiom, suitable for field trips and other outings, that you didn't have enough fun if someone doesn't leave in hysterics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the melted wax. That looks like so much fun! I bet my girls would love to try that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!