Friday, September 17, 2010

GeoDice Game

While I was window-shopping for games, I came across one called Shapes Up.

I thought it looked interesting, and I also thought that I could easily make an adapted version myself. So I did!

The object of the game is to be the first one to fill your chosen card with shapes.

I made the cards first.

I laid out designs on the table, finding a format that was pleasing to me.

When I found a shape that I liked, I started tracing with pencil around the center shape onto a piece of cardstock, and then placed the next ones accordingly.

When I had the basic design done, I filled in more of the drawn shapes with lines – converting some hexagons to trapezoids, triangles, and diamonds (or rhombus).
I felt that this offered more of a challenge – the unbroken hexagons (with no lines in them) can only be filled with a hexagon. Unbroken trapezoids can only be filled with a trapezoid shape – unless it is next to another, providing an outline for the hexagon. (This part of the game is completely different from the one I saw, and was my own idea.)
So smaller shapes or larger shapes can only be used if there is a proper outline for them – unbroken lines must be left open.

When I had the designs done on the cardstock, I got out my ruler, and traced the lines all the way across the cards (where there were lines) with a sharpie.

I cut the cards into squares.

When that was done, I covered both sides of the cards with clear contact paper.

For the die, I made a cube with my fingers out of polymer clay, and then baked it accordingly.

When it was done I drew on the four shapes I had used, and, borrowing an idea from the game, I drew a hand – which meant that the player could snatch any laid piece off of his opponent’s card. The last side of the die – my own idea – I put a question mark, leaving it up to the player to choose from the unused tiles which ever piece she would like.

It’s done!

And it’s really fun. : )

Shapes Up is made by Educational Insights, and is a Mensa Select game. The original artist and creator are unknown.

3 comments:

  1. great idea! looks like fun :) we have had those pattern blocks too (for years, one of our best toy investments!) - i'm always amazed at what the kids create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome game - I think your version is more fun than the original one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like fun! I'm going to need to find the time to make it. THanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!